Cruise Critic had a great article this week reminding people that the laws of other countries are different than ours and even if you inadvertently break one of them, you could be liable for a large fine. The advice they gave was good not just for cruisers, but for all of us who travel. Here are a few of the things they covered:
- Several countries in the Caribbean ban the wearing of camouflage clothing. This includes Antigua, Barbados, Grenada, Jamaica, St. Lucia and others. It is also banned in some places in Africa and the Middle East. The reason behind this is that they don’t want people thinking you are with the military or law enforcement.
- Public displays of affection including United Arab Emirates (Dubai, Abu Dhabi); Egypt; India; and Indonesia could land you in trouble as they feel it is a violation of their decency or obscenity codes. You can be fined, deported, or arrested.
- Don’t try eating your gelato on church steps or monuments. The resulting amount of litter has made city officials so angry in Florence and Rome that they’ve taken to dousing church steps with water to deter tourists from sitting. In Rome there is no eating on fountains or historic monuments such as the Pantheon or Colosseum, or even the Spanish Steps. It is sometimes very easy for people to forget these wonderful places are where real people live and work, and those people must clean up the mess made by careless visitors.
- Don’t feed the pigeons! For many years it has been illegal to feed the pigeons in Venice. San Francisco has a similar ordinance. Although it is not illegal in New York City, if excessive droppings are tied to your activity, you may received a fine.
- Don’t wear your pointy heeled shoes in Greece as they are forbidden at ancient monuments and sites in Athens as well as elsewhere. Those sharp tips dig into the fragile marble.
All of the above should be common sense but many times when people are away, they do things they would never think of doing at home.
This week was a difficult week of the cruise lines. Our government has basically banned travel to Cuba with some very small exceptions. The cruise lines have had to cancel and/or reroute almost 800,000 passengers who were already booked.
Hurricane season has officially begun in the Caribbean. If you are planning a trip to that region or even some place like Florida, please make sure you either have a refundable rate or invest in travel insurance. Your insurance must be purchased before a storm is named or you will most likely not be covered!
May 17-28, 2020 Alpine Explorer and Oberammergau We will explore a bit of Switzerland and Austria before arriving at Oberammergau for the Passion Play.Some of the highlights of this trip include Lago Maggiore, Island Dinner, Zermatt, Glacier Express Train, St. Moritz, Innsbruck, Salzburg, St. Peter’s Restaurant, Mozart Dinner Concert, Munich, Oberammergau Passion Play, Linderhof Palace, Füssen, Neuschwanstein Castle. Check out the itinerary: https://gateway.gocollette.com/link/817395 We have had a couple of cancellations for Oberammergau so if you are interested, don’t delay. This is a much sought after, once in every 10 year, event.
May 30-June 7, 2020 Paris and Normandy River Cruise A few rooms are still available.
June 13-21 2020 Colorado Rockies We’ll fly in and out of the Mile High City of Denver and then travel to Grand Junction. We’ll visit the Colorado National Monument, Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, and Mesa Verda National Park. We’ll then travel to Durango and ride the Silverton RailRoad before ending our trip in Colorado Springs. Ready for deposit.
August 15-23 Canadian Rockies We’ll fly into Vancouver and after enjoying the sights of Vancouver and Victoria, we’ll head up to Kamloops and then to Jasper National Park. We’ll see the Athabascan Glacier from our snow machine. We’ll visit the spectacular Lake Louise and then on to Banff. Ready for deposit. 10% early booking discount on this trip!
September 12-23, 2020 Discovering Poland Ready for deposit! Check out the itinerary at https://gateway.gocollette.com/link/902378 October 6-14, 2020 Autumn Colors We’ll fly into historic Boston and then head to Lexington and Concord where the “shot heard round the world was fired”. We’ll head through the Berkshires, stopping at a historic mill and glass blowing facility. We’ll visit the historic town of Woodstock.Sample some Ben and Jerry’s ice cream at their factory before venturing into New Hampshire and and stunning of views of Mount Washington, the tallest peak in the northeast. We’ll visit Acadia National Park and the beautiful town of Bar Harbor. On our way south we’ll journey past lighthouses, fisheries, and seaside dwellings before arriving at Portsmouth, one of the oldest cities in the United States. This is a very popular trip that will fill quickly so deposit asap.
Tentative date: October 16, 2020 Panama Canal Cruise This is a full transit 15 day cruise from Los Angeles to Ft. Lauderdale. We will visit Puerto Vallarta, Mexico; Huatulco, Mexico; San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua; Puntarenas, Costa Rica; Fuerte Amador, Panama (for Panama City); Panama Canal full transit; and Cartagena, Columbia before disembarking in Ft. Lauderdale.
April 2021 Lynn and Lidia’s Sicily and Southern Italy tour with sant’ippolito! Stay tuned for more information. Have a great week! Lynn
May 2021 Budapest to Bucharest River Cruise Will be ready for deposit late Fall.
Have a great week!