Each time we take a group overseas people wonder what they can and cannot take home with them. Customs and Border Patrol are tasked with protecting the US from unsafe items when a traveler re-enters the US. They can confiscate prohibited or restricted items when they enter the US. Here is a good summary of what is and isn’t allowed from Smarter Travel:
- Bakery products, many prepared foods, and certain cheeses are allowed, as well as condiments like oils, honey, packaged spices, coffee and tea.
- Meat products are not allowed and rice should be avoided because it can hide insects.
- Most fresh fruits and vegetables are also banned.
- Alcohol is okay in limited quantities subject to the laws of the US and your particular state.
- Some medications are less expensive outside of the US. Legal, controlled substances can be brought in no more than 50 doses unless prescribed by a US licensed practitioner or DEA registrant.
- Gold was once prohibited but you can now bring home gold coins, medals, and bullion except from Cuba, Myanmar, Iran and most of the Sudan.
- There is no limit to clothes brought home for personal use.
- Knockoffs like a purse or watch can be confiscated.
- Leave the cultural artifacts where you found them because many countries have laws against exporting them.
- Pets must be healthy on arrival. If they appear sick, the owner must pay for an exam. Make sure they are up to date on shots and have that shot record with you.
- If you want to bring ceramic tableware home, it won’t be confiscated but the CBP warns that the tableware can be made with dangerous levels of lead.
When we begin to plan travel, we usually choose the airport closest to us or the one that has the most convenient schedule. Finance Buzz analyzed domestic airports and found the 5 least expensive were Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Las Vegas,Miami, and Tampa. The five most expensive: JFK in New York, Portland International, Detroit Metro, San Francisco International, and Dulles International. I was surprised to see Detroit that high in the rankings.-Smarter Travel
I hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day tomorrow and take a minute to think about all those who sacrificed everything for all of us.
June 18-27, 2022 Spectacular Canadian Rockies We will begin this awesome tour in Vancouver, and travel to Victoria Island, Kamloops, Jasper National Park,the Athabasca Glacier, Lake Louise, and Banff National park. Trafalgar